Navigating the Family Court system can be difficult, confusing, and overwhelming. For women who have experienced abuse in their relationship, this process is intensified by safety concerns and increased complexities with child custody, access, and support.
The Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region is pleased to offer a program for women who have experienced abuse as they navigate the Family Court system. The Family Court Support Program empowers women through information, support and appropriate referrals.
Please Note: This program does not offer legal advice or replace advice from a lawyer.
The Family Court Support Program offers:
• Support and advocacy in navigating the family court system.
• Information about the family court process.
• Accompaniment to family court proceedings and lawyer appointments.
• Safety planning, especially related to court appearances.
• Assistance with recording the history of abuse for court.
• Debriefing and discussing court outcomes, legal appointments, and next steps.
• Support with completion of paperwork and lawyer’s requests.
• Referrals and advocacy with community supports and services.
• Information and practical support in accessing Legal Aid.
Who can access the Family Court Support Worker program?
• Have experienced any type of abuse or violence in their relationship.
• Are looking for information about family law issues.
• Are about to start family law proceedings or who are already involved in the Family Court system.
To book an appointment in Kitchener or Cambridge:
Contact Joanna our Family Court Support Worker at 519-571-0121 ext. 108. Women can self-refer to the program. All services are free and confidential, including free language interpretation.
This program does not offer legal advice or replace advice from a lawyer.